Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Inspiration Wednesday


Inspiration Wednesday...
Every Wednesday I'll post about what inspires me
Ken Fulk inspires me... 

The first time I laid eyes on our beach house I was already mentally furnishing it. I started making floor plans and lists of things we would each bring from our edited possessions. Dave and I have different decorating styles, though we do have a love of old things in common. He never met a piece of vintage or antique brown furniture he hasn't dragged to his house in the past 25 years, and I proscribe to the Sister Parrish axiom that a room should never have more than two pieces of brown furniture. He likes white walls; I like color and pattern. Dave has suffered my doll house for nearly three years, living with my point of view. Now I want to combine our styles, use his beloved family furniture and his oriental rugs and lovely things.
Ken Fulk combines antique and vintage pieces. Dave has brown furniture and oriental rugs. When I see a room like this I know I can make it work and love it too. Our walls and ceilings are original bead board, and we plan to paint them white.



Our living room
Our living room - My lime green silk drapes on these windows!
Susanna Salk and Stacey Bewkes have one of my favorite blogs: Quintessence. Their "At Home With" tours are inspiring and personal. I particularly loved one they did about the Provincetown home of Ken Fulk. I used it as a jumping off point for a client's beach house I worked on a couple of years ago. I didn't want to do cutesy coastal. I wanted a collected look, like a sea captain bringing home treasures, or a sea cottage like the on in the old movie "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir".
This Ken Fulk entry hall is great. Ours is a center hall with an opportunity to use chests, tables, and maybe my French settee. It will be a gallery to display our too large art collection. It's painted yellow now, and maybe I'll do the yellow too.
This is the center hall in our house with the bead board painted yellow - I would choose a better yellow; I have a lovely red killim rug that was in Alberto's office that is now languishing in the attic. It would look great in this entry hall.

Ken Fulk gallery wall inspiration for our center hall
So now I have a chance to combine all the things Dave and I have into a really comfortable and cozy and unique space for the two of us. Each of us will have to let certain things go, but we plan to pass them on when we open a pop up shop at the beach once we're settled.

The Ken Fulk dining room has an incredible hand painted mural. We don't have a real dining room, but Dave has a lovely brown old round table that would fit in our planned large eat in kitchen.
Our kitchen - It will be reworked to make room for a dining table
Ken Fulk kitchen is so not generic or cookie cutter
Our kitchen even has an old stove like the one in the Ken Fulk kitchen

Ken Fulk kitchen
My mantra of art, books, flowers will be invoked. I look forward to marrying our possessions together. His grandmother's Governor Winthrop secretary and oriental rug with my lime green silk drapes. You get the idea. Our 1890 Queen Anne center hall cottage will lend itself nicely to it. I love what Ken Fulk did in Provincetown, combining vintage and antique and some modern things. I love his use of color. I love his art work and his sense of whimsy. He's quirky and stylish.

Brown furniture is growing on me
Dave has a brass bed he loves and after seeing what Ken Fulk did, I think it will be perfect for our new house
More brown furniture love
I will have to downsize my book collection
I love wallpaper but the bead board walls won't allow it

I can add print with fabric
One of our two bedrooms
Ken Fulk does great vintage bathrooms
Flowers and art forever
Quirky love
One of the two of our bathrooms has some nice old fixtures
It feels great to be blogging again and sharing with all my fellow decor mavens! You can now follow this blog. There's an email link on the right hand side...
Ken Fulk I love what you do1

6 comments:

  1. Hey, totally see where you are going with this. ! Love it!!!!house is awesome! You'll need to get a Spoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Spoo just might be in our future! Thanks for reading my blog. xo xo

      Delete
  2. I have always wanted to renovate and old house. I am living vicariously through you. Once you get your little mitts on it, I KNOW it will be amazing! Can't wait to see what you do with the place. XOXO, Kellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I said I would only move again for a center hall house! Thanks for reading my blog again. xo xo

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you found love again! I hope you are keeping the place in NOLA too. It is super cool. Wishing you love and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! And thanks for reading my blog again.

    ReplyDelete